Two fathers were killed and three other people were seriously injured after a suspected drunk driver crashed into pedestrians on a sidewalk in New York City.
Police said the deadly crash happened on Friday evening near Amsterdam Avenue and West 109th Street on Manhattan’s Upper West Side.
Authorities identified the driver as 61-year-old Elvin Suarez. Investigators said Suarez was allegedly under the influence when he lost control of his Mercedes SUV at about 6 p.m.
According to police, the SUV first struck a parked vehicle. That impact caused a chain reaction involving several other vehicles before the SUV drove onto the sidewalk and hit multiple pedestrians sitting outside a barbershop.
Witnesses said several men had been relaxing outside the shop on folding chairs when the vehicle suddenly slammed into them.
The victims who died were identified as 46-year-old Jason Negron and 35-year-old Michael Saint-Hilaire.
Three other men, aged between 36 and 52, suffered critical injuries and were rushed to nearby hospitals for emergency treatment.
Witnesses described scenes of panic after the crash. Video footage from the area reportedly showed pedestrians standing behind a van moments before the SUV crashed into them.
Some witnesses said one victim became trapped underneath the vehicle after the impact. People nearby were later seen trying to lift the SUV to rescue the trapped man.
Eva Santiago, who witnessed the crash, said the vehicle was moving dangerously before the collision.
She told local media that the SUV was swerving and driving at high speed before it jumped over the median and struck the group of men.
Another witness said the driver appeared confused when he got out of the vehicle after the crash.
Retired emergency medical technician Janice Diaz also rushed to help victims at the scene. She said she saw several injured people lying on the ground and performed CPR on one unconscious victim.
Diaz described the victims as local residents who were spending time together before the tragedy happened.
Police said investigators do not believe the crash was intentional. Authorities continue to examine the incident and gather evidence from witnesses and surveillance footage.
The suspect now faces several criminal charges. Officials said Suarez has been charged with manslaughter, vehicular manslaughter, and driving while intoxicated.
The deadly crash caused heavy traffic delays in the neighborhood as police blocked roads during the investigation. The New York City Police Department advised drivers to avoid the area while emergency crews worked at the scene.
The deaths of Negron and Saint-Hilaire deeply affected the local community.
Friends and neighbors described Jason Negron as a caring family man and a respected member of the neighborhood. He worked as a doorman in a nearby residential building for many years.
A fundraising page created for his family said he had served the building community since 2006 and was known as more than just an employee.
The tribute described him as a close friend to residents and an important part of the local area. Negron is survived by his wife and two daughters.
Another fundraising page for Michael Saint-Hilaire described him as a loving father, friend, and brother.
Family members said he was known for helping others and always offering kindness and support to people around him.
The tribute added that his sudden death has devastated loved ones, especially his three young children.
The tragedy has renewed concern about drunk driving and pedestrian safety in busy city neighborhoods. Traffic safety advocates continue to warn about the dangers of impaired driving, especially in crowded urban areas with heavy foot traffic.
Police are urging anyone with information or video related to the crash to contact investigators as the case moves forward.
The investigation remains ongoing as the community mourns the loss of two fathers whose lives ended in a sudden and devastating crash.

