President Donald Trump said the United States may reduce military drills with South Korea. His comments came just before a major joint exercise was due to begin.
Trump said the drills cost too much. He also said they could send the wrong message to North Korea. The US president pointed to his good ties with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
In a post on Truth Social, Trump said the United States had agreed to join the drills many years ago. He questioned why the exercises were still needed at their current size.
Trump also linked the issue to South Korea’s refusal to help the United States with Iran.
He said he had asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung if Seoul wanted to join US efforts to stop Iran from gaining nuclear weapons. According to Trump, South Korea declined.
The comments came as US and South Korean forces prepared for Ulchi Freedom Shield. The annual drills were due to begin Monday and run for 10 days.
A regional source said the exercises began as planned on Monday morning. It was not yet clear if the drills had been reduced after Trump’s comments.
The annual exercise is a major part of military planning between Washington and Seoul. It is meant to help both sides prepare for a possible attack by North Korea.
The drills were also set to include training for newer threats. These included drone attacks, GPS disruption and cyber attacks.
At least 18,000 South Korean troops were expected to take part, according to local officials. The exercises also involve US forces and advanced military equipment.
The United States and South Korea have been military allies for more than seven decades. Their defense treaty is focused on protecting South Korea from North Korea.
North Korea has developed nuclear weapons and long range missiles. Its growing military power remains a key concern for both Washington and Seoul.
The United States also has a large military presence in South Korea. Camp Humphreys is the largest US military base outside the United States. Thousands of US troops, families and local workers are based there.
Military drills are a major part of the alliance. They allow both sides to train together and improve their ability to respond to a crisis.
North Korea has strongly opposed these exercises for years. Its foreign ministry recently called the drills a rehearsal for an aggressive war.
Pyongyang has often warned that US and South Korean military activity is a direct threat. Washington and Seoul say the exercises are defensive and designed to improve readiness.
Trump’s latest statement could lead to new questions about future drills. A smaller exercise could reduce costs, but it could also change how the two allies prepare for a possible conflict.
Trump has often called on US allies to provide more support. He has also criticized the cost of US military commitments overseas.
His comments about South Korea came as the conflict involving Iran remained a major issue for his administration. Trump has asked other countries to support US efforts, but not all allies have agreed.
South Korea must now balance its close ties with Washington with its own security needs. The country depends heavily on the US alliance as it faces the threat from North Korea.
For now, the joint exercise is continuing. The main question is whether Trump’s call for fewer drills will lead to changes in future training.
Any major change could matter beyond the US and South Korea. It could affect military readiness, alliance planning and North Korea’s view of the security situation in the region.
The issue also shows the wider challenge facing US allies. Washington wants more support from partners, while allies must decide how far they are willing to join US military efforts in other parts of the world.

